Sunday, March 27, 2011

Professional Development

I attended a writing conference on Saturday and even though I wasn't really looking forward to it, I still felt disappointed.  This is so commonly the case with any PD I engage in.  When I complained once about faculty meetings and department meetings and the lack of meetings that address the things I actually would enjoy some meetings about, my mom seemed confused as to why this would be.  I felt frustrated when she asked about it, because I feel like people have been complaining about faculty meetings since the beginning of time and she should just understand that they are intrinsically useless and infuriating.

But actually, why?

Why is it so hard to address things of actual consequence?  Why can't the people in positions of leadership in my field present practical and relevant information that I could use in my classroom?  Or in my life?  I would settle for information that I could just use in my brain, instead of the usual variety that squeezes into my vulnerable, open ears until my brain rejects it, violently.
When you have a captive audience, shouldn't it be a crime to lecture about minutia and run ragged the same tired, old party lines?

No comments:

Post a Comment